MADE: Khaki Wrap Dress

khaki wrap dress by vivat veritas blogAt the beginning of the Summer, I purged some of the clothes in my closet. That purge included ridding some clothes I hand made in the past like this dress, high-low skirt, shirt dress (Archer pattern modification) and this floral skirt (I kept the top). They were made four years ago and worn many times, so the fabric was starting to fall apart. The floral skirt was nice, but the organza insert felt too sexy for me to wear in my daily life as a mom. As sad as I was to part with my creation, it also gave me an opportunity to make new summer clothes!

Since I made this parka, I wanted to incorporate more of khaki color in my closet. I have a lot of white and black as basic neutral colors but just black and white felt boring. As I always do, I browse through Pinterest to collect pretty images of the dresses to pin down what I want to make. I pin those in my “Fashion” board.

khaki dress inspiration board by vivat veritas blog{1 | 2 | 3 | 4 }
khaki wrap dress details
Here is the end result! I think it looks like the closest to #4 above. I might be able to wear it in the fall as well with a black turtle neck inside. The fabric is from Nippori Tomato, second floor knit section. It’s a medium weight jersey with a bit of velvet like feel in the right side of the fabric. It’s soft and comfortable!

The pattern was borrowed from my recent client work. I lengthened the skirt length by 5cm and added big patch pockets on both sides. I love the pockets and use them often to hold key when I am running out of the door.




khaki color wrap dress with big pocketskhaki wrap dress by vivat veritas1 (2){worn with Dolce Vita sandals}chie sig2

Find me elsewhere:

What to Do When Your Wedding Dress Color is Not Right

What to Do When Your Wedding Dress Color is Not RightA few months ago, I received a text message from a make up artist that I worked with in the past (for this shoot), asking for help. She bought a wedding dress online but the color was not the color she was expecting. The dress was made in pure white polyester satin and organza, and it did not fit well with her skin color. This strapless sweet heart neckline dress came with an organza long sleeve top which she did not like either. She wanted the color to be more of an off-white and ivory shade. So she attempted to dye the dress with coffee; however, the color did not becaus the dress fabric was synthetic.

Here is the before and after picture. I am not sure if I was able to capture the color correctly in pictures, but the one on the left is white and the one on the right is the same dress after the modification, which is off-white.
before and after of color change wedding dressMy plan was to take apart the top layers of the dress, and make new layers in off white satin, lace and chiffon using the patterns of the old wedding dress.plan for updating the white wedding dressHere is the picture of the dress after the dissection. taking apart the dressThe dress bodice with off white satin and lace layers added.
bust part of wedding dressHere is the completed dress!

If your wedding dress color is not what you like, you can make the top layer based on the original dress. It is much easier and quicker than making a dress from scratch.
completed dresslaced up back detailsIvory lace wedding dress最近承ったお直しウェディングドレスの案件です。
ポリエステルはうまく染まらないので、ドレスを分解して新しいレイヤーをオフホワイトのサテン、レース、シフォンでお作りしました。wedding circus x vivat veritas dresswedding circus x vivat veritas wedding dress3 ayumi dresschie sig2Find me elsewhere:

♥ 東京木場のアトリエVivat Veritas | 完全オーダーメイド | 花嫁様おひとりおひとりに合わせてお作りします!
♥ ドレスのリメイクも賜ります。
♥ お問い合わせはこちら

Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas in Silk

Closet Case Files Silk Pajama1 copyI made silk pajamas! After making my Ginger Jeans (white version here), I became a big fan of Closet Case Files patterns. The jeans fit pretty well for me and the high waisted version is more flattering to my body than most store bought jeans. So, when a friend asked me to make silk pajamas for her friend’s wedding gift, I immediately thought of Carolyn pajama patterns.With so many cheap versions out there (like this GU one), I wanted to make it special by crafting it in pure silk satin.

The fabric used is beige silk satin. I made my own pipping with some white silk left over from making wedding dresses. That was the recommendation from the pattern instructions, so the width of the pipping can match the seam allowances, which is 1.5cm in this case.

From putting together the patterns to finishing two pajamas took a long time…about 17 hours. One of my goals of 2016 was to keep track of my work hours in excel in order to up my efficiency. Silk satin slips around a lot so cutting it on proper grain was a challenge. I mostly used a rotary cutter and a mat to cut the fabric and interface. Closet Case Files Silk Pajama2 Silk Carolyn Pajama Closet Case Files Close UpsSilk PJ feels so luxurious! I am not sure how they will care for it since silk satin loses the shine once you wash it with water, but I am assuming this is for a special occasions. Any thoughts? Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas by Vivat Veritas Carolyn Pajama Closet Case Files3For a men’s version, I used BurdaStyle Men’s Pajama Set 12/2010 #134. It is almost identical to Carolyn PJ patterns. The only modifications are to omit drawstring waist and added a pipping cuffs on pants hem. Unlike Closet Case Files pattern instructions, BurdaStyle’s instructions are like reading foreign language at times…I had to just guess and figure out. 

Here is the picture of pants fly with hidden pocket for men’s PJ pants. BurdaStyle Mens Pajama Set 122010 134 Closet Case Files Carolyn Pajamas by Vivat Veritas Gift結婚プレゼント用に、男女お揃いのシルクパジャマを作りました。
型紙は女性用はCloset Case Files Carolyn Pajama、男性用はBurdaStyle Men’s Pajama Setを使いました。
chie sig2

Find me elsewhere: