MADE: Khaki Wrap Dress

khaki wrap dress by vivat veritas blogAt the beginning of the Summer, I purged some of the clothes in my closet. That purge included ridding some clothes I hand made in the past like this dress, high-low skirt, shirt dress (Archer pattern modification) and this floral skirt (I kept the top). They were made four years ago and worn many times, so the fabric was starting to fall apart. The floral skirt was nice, but the organza insert felt too sexy for me to wear in my daily life as a mom. As sad as I was to part with my creation, it also gave me an opportunity to make new summer clothes!

Since I made this parka, I wanted to incorporate more of khaki color in my closet. I have a lot of white and black as basic neutral colors but just black and white felt boring. As I always do, I browse through Pinterest to collect pretty images of the dresses to pin down what I want to make. I pin those in my “Fashion” board.

khaki dress inspiration board by vivat veritas blog{1 | 2 | 3 | 4 }
khaki wrap dress details
Here is the end result! I think it looks like the closest to #4 above. I might be able to wear it in the fall as well with a black turtle neck inside. The fabric is from Nippori Tomato, second floor knit section. It’s a medium weight jersey with a bit of velvet like feel in the right side of the fabric. It’s soft and comfortable!

The pattern was borrowed from my recent client work. I lengthened the skirt length by 5cm and added big patch pockets on both sides. I love the pockets and use them often to hold key when I am running out of the door.




khaki color wrap dress with big pocketskhaki wrap dress by vivat veritas1 (2){worn with Dolce Vita sandals}chie sig2

Find me elsewhere:

Baby Shower Gift Ideas with Skip Hop

adorable baby shoesHello! I wanted to share some pictures I took at my friend’s baby shower. I was her designated photographer:) She is expecting a baby girl and we had a shower at her lovely home in Tokyo. She is British and her place is decorated in British fashion (what I imagine an English home to look like) with pretty tea cups and dark color wood antique furniture.

baby bump baby shower decoration{Custom ordered cupcakes}
british tea cups1 british tea cups4{Collection of beautiful tea cups – My friend said she bought most of them from charity shop!}party food3{Kiko and fun party food}ruth and chie crafting at baby shower{Scrap booking time! Most of the items are from 100 yen shop, Daiso}
DSC_1994 copy DSC_1996 copy{We each decorated the bibs}kiko and maggy

In terms of shower gifts, this posts’s sponsor gave me few ideas for good baby toy gifts. I try to hand make gifts as much as I can (diaper cake, baby clothes here and here, nursing cape and bunny beanie) but occasionally, time does not allow it. So here is my guide:baby shower gift guide with skip hop{Skip Hop baby shower gift guide | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5}
Vivat Veritas occasionally receives vendor/ brand sponsorships for mentioning their products and services.chie sig2Find me elsewhere:

Rose Themed Wedding Dress Showcase

vivat veritas flower petal wedding dressBack in June, I hosted a three-day event where I showcased three of my new wedding dress designs. It was done in collaboration with a flower shop, AFRIKA ROSE and another bridal gown designer, Satomi Shiga of Rachel Bridal. Satomi and I met last year and we had been entertaining the idea of hosting an event together. Then we came across a flower shop that specializes in roses that are made in Kenya. We pitched the event idea of the event to the owner and she readily agreed.

We had about six months to put the event together and it was a success! We had a cocktail reception on the first night and the place was packed.

rose museum wedding box reception3rose museum wedding box reception1rose museum wedding box reception4{I’m wearing the navy blue lace dress I made last November}rose museum wedding box reception2afrika rose1Satomi did a live demonstration of the making of the dress below, with the real rose petals. She attached each petal with glue gun.
live demonstration at rose museum wedding box1live demonstration at rose museum wedding box2I showcased three wedding dresses, all with a “rose” theme. The mermaid style dress below is made out rose motif lace. It was inspired by the client work I did recently, which was similar in style. I love mermaid dresses and my own wedding dress was mermaid, but people don’t go for this style often in Japan.vivat veritas mermaid wedding dressI made this second dress thinking of rose petals. Wanted to express the gradation and color change happening in petals, so I made a skirt in silk and ombre dyed with chemical dye. I used DYLON flamingo pink. I dyed bottom half with very watery paint first, let it dry, and did the same for two more times with thicker dye paint. The result was pretty good; I was really happy with how it came out.

Processed with VSCO with c1 preset

vv french lace wedding dress afrika rose2 afrika rose3 afrika rose4 afrika rose5 afrika rose6The last one I made was a silk organza dress with flower print. When you wear the dress, the flower motif will appear like floral tattoos.
blue fairy wedding dress by vivat veritas afrika rose7 flyers at wedding eventprenage headsetsHere are some of Satomi’s dresses.rachel bridal dress rachel bridal lavender color wedding dress rachel bridal wedding dresses1 rachel bridal wedding dresses2 rose museum wedding box flyer1 rose museum wedding box flyer2satomi chie at wedding event{From left: AFRIKA ROSE owner, Megumi Haguida, Satomi Shiga of Rachel Bridal, Me and AFRIKA ROSE store manager, Ayaka Matsuno}


お気軽にお問合せください。 chie sig2

Find me elsewhere:

♥ 東京木場のアトリエVivat Veritas | 完全オーダーメイド | 花嫁様おひとりおひとりに合わせてお作りします!
♥ ドレスのリメイクも賜ります。
♥ お問い合わせはこちら